Party Animals


Have you been invited to a party or get-together, either online or in person and have been told that there will be “free” drink and/or drugs? Is the party/get-together at someone’s house that you don’t know?

The West Yorkshire CSE Communications group (made up of Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield Safeguarding Children Board’s and West Yorkshire Police are launching the “Party Animals” campaign to raise awareness of the party model amongst teenagers across West Yorkshire.

If you do accept an invitation to a party or get-together there are things that you need to do keep yourself safe:

Keep yourself safe when heading out to a party or get-together:

  • Make sure you know where you’re going
  • Find out whose party it is
  • Take note of the road signs if you accept a lift
  • Tell a trusted adult where you are going and who you’re going with
  • Tell someone what time you’re expected home
  • Make sure your phone is charged
  • Text or call a trusted adult when you get there
  • Take enough money with you to get you home
  • Have a plan to get home eg; taxi number
  • Stop drinking
  • Don’t accept or use any drugs
  • Don’t go into a room alone with people that make you feel uncomfortable
  • Make an excuse, eg pretend you’re feeling ill and lock yourself in a room eg; bathroom or go outside.
  • Then send a text or make a phone call to a trusted adult to get someone to come and pick you up or call the police.

If you are at a party or get-together and are having a good time, but someone asks you to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable:

Sexual assault or rape is a criminal offence and you should tell someone if this happens to you. There are people who you can speak to who won’t blame or judge you about what has happened.

Childline: 0800 1111

Police: Call 101 in a non emergency or if the crime has already happened. Call 999 if the crime is in progress or you feel you are in immediate danger.

Crimestoppers: 0800 555111

If you tell a trusted adult they might then inform the police or Children’s Social Care if they are concerned about your safety.

For more details about the campaign visit the Leeds Safeguarding Children Board website.