Sexual Assault

This can happen to anyone. You always have the right to say no to sex, even if you have previously agreed, even if you are in a relationship with that person. Assault can be any sexual act which you didn’t agree to.

During an assault it is normal for people to fight, freeze or go along with what is happening to try and protect themselves from further harm.

Help and support is available. We are here to help anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault, no matter the circumstances. We are not linked to the police and will not pass on details without your permission unless we have concerns for your safety or the safety of others.

If you are in danger now call the Police on 999.

If you have severe injuries you will need to go to A&E.

If you need emergency contraception, or think you need PEP against HIV, contact us or the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) as soon as possible after the assault. If we are closed and you do not want to access the SARC, PEP can be accessed from A&E within 72 hours of an assault. Visit our pages on Emergency Contraception and PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) for more information.

After an assault, you can contact the Sexual Assault Referral Centre or SARC directly for an appointment if you are 16 years old or older (https://www.hazlehurstcentre.o...). They can help by assessing and documenting injuries, taking forensic samples and storing evidence. If you go to the SARC take the clothes you had with you at the time of the assault and try and go as soon as possible after the assault.

How Leeds Sexual Health can help: checking your symptoms, providing emergency or ongoing contraception, considering if you need medications or vaccinations to prevent HIV and hepatitis, checking for STIs, signposting to support services. You can come to us even if you choose not to go to the SARC or the police. Call our appointment line or try our webchat for advice

If you are under 16 years and have been assaulted you can still access the SARC or Leeds Sexual Health, please call our appointment line or try webchat.

If something happened to you longer ago than 14 days we can still help and offer support. There is no time limit on this.

Police reports can be made at any time following an assault. Information can also be given to the police anonymously if you wish. If you decide to report an assault that happened in the past call 101.

Support organisations

Women (including trans women) over 18 yrs please contact SARSVL for support and guidance. Free phone line 0808 802 3344. https://www.womenslivesleeds.o...

Men: contact Ben’s Place https://survivorswestyorkshire...

Yorkshire MESMAC can offer some support and guidance to LGBT people, including offering advice on support services and connections with local peer support groups: 0113 2444 209

If you're under 18 yrs please get in touch with us, but you may also want to speak to one of the following: